LEN - get information about the size and format of a file.
LEN displays the size of a file and the amount of space
actually used. It also indicates the format of the file.
If there is unused space at the end of the file (i.e. space
that could be recovered by shrinking the file), LEN sets bit 26
of the program switch word. If the file is using all its
allocated space, LEN clears bit 26. In either case, LEN clears
bits 18-25. LEN sets bits 18-25 to indicate an error.
LEN recognizes the following file types.
- *CF file (used by command file processing)
- APL random (produced by the APL file system)
- APL workspace
- Huffman encoded (produced by the Huff subsystem)
- UFAS files (sequential,relative,IDS-II,indexed)
- archive index (produced by the ARCHIVE system)
- extension editor patch file (produced by $EXTEDIT in
- freeze file (produced by the FREEZE subsystem)
- old mailbox
- object (object deck)
- qstar (system-loadable file)
- random library (object library)
- random source library (produced by $SRCLIB in batch)
- run unit (system-loadable file virtual mode)
- text (standard system format)
At present, LEN does not recognize the new (MAIL8) mailbox
format. Eventually, LEN will be modified to recognize the new
Copyright © 1996, Thinkage Ltd.